Re: [Gnash-dev] bounds_in_clipping_area bug

From: strk
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] bounds_in_clipping_area bug
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 12:13:24 +0100

On Mon, Feb 11, 2008 at 11:59:50AM +0100, Udo Giacomozzi wrote:
> Hello strk,
>
> Monday, February 11, 2008, 11:41:46 AM, you wrote:
> s> Did you take care of masks ? both dynamic and layer ones ?
> s> I mean, if a mask is out of the clipping area, we still want
> s> to display it IFF the display is meant to construct the "mask",
> s> right ?
> s> OR, we may skip it's rendering as far as we also skip rendering
> s> of any maskee..
>
> Hmm, "make check" is running right now, so it may reveal any
> problems.

Eh...
you can trust make check as much as you added pixel checking there.

> Anyway, everything outside the clipping area (be it a mask or not)
> won't ever have any effect. It's like drawing outside of your
> monitor...

IIRC, the layer masks are handled like:
if ( it's a mask ) { renderAsMask(); }
else { renderMasked(); }

Now, if the mask is out of clipping bounds, and next is not,
the danger is you'd skip rendering the mask but still render
the maskee. Details may make this a non-issue..

> The only thing that makes me suspicious now are the calls to
> begin_mask / end_mask. A mask outside the screen will result into a
> NULL mask (hide everything) but will the renderer understand that a
> mask is active at all?

right, that's what I was talking about...

> I've made a quick test with AGG and it seems fine.

good.

> s> IIRC I tested this a bit in the past with the 'skip-rendering-if-late'
> s> patch.
>
> Did you get any results you can tell me?

I didn't notice any problem, but wasn't a deep test.