[Gnash-dev] Gnash packages for Fedora / OLPC

From: John Gilmore
Subject: [Gnash-dev] Gnash packages for Fedora / OLPC
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 20:41:59 -0700

OLPC has forked their gnash-0.8.3 package because the upstream Fedora
package had a pile of dependencies (for kde, etc) that they don't use.

I tried building a Fedora package from the 0.8.4 release, but the
release tarball doesn't include the Fedora specs file (tho perhaps it
is in the xyz tree?  Or am I supposed to steal it from the 0.8.3
Fedora srpm and modify it?).

As we make the 0.8.4 Fedora release, I recommend that we improve the
package by merging the changes from the OLPC fork.  Their change is
briefly described among all the other OLPC-forked packages here:

  http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Distro_version_migration_nastiness

The SRPM for the forked package is here:

http://mock.laptop.org/gitweb/gitweb.cgi?p=repos;a=blob_plain;f=SRPMS/gnash-0.8.3-1.olpc3.2.src.rpm;hb=767.koji

If our 0.8.4 SRPM builds several binary packages, one of which is the
configured-down OLPC one that has few dependencies, that'll solve the
problem and heal a fork.  (Hmm, does the real Fedora 10 alpha SRPM
include any patches to gnash?  If so, shouldn't we incorporate those,
or start a dialog with the packager?)

There are no 0.8.4 binary or srpm packages uploaded at getgnash.org,
even days after the release.  I would've thought that those binary
packages would be built during the release process.  If it won't build
in the configuration used by the major distros, maybe it isn't quite
ready for release yet; and if we didn't test that it could do so,
ditto.  And if we did test, why didn't we upload?

        John