Re: [Gnash-dev] Building Gnash for the TDS/Trimble Nomad

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Building Gnash for the TDS/Trimble Nomad
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2009 13:54:21 -0600

On 09/09/09 09:30, Udo Giacomozzi wrote:

This mail is mainly for Rob (who will be cross-compiling Gnash for the
Trimble Nomad too), but might be useful for anybody who wants to build
Gnash for that device.

  I'll try to expand this, but here's a start on my notes for Nomad:
http://wiki.gnashdev.org/Building_for_Nomad.

Last time I tried this, it worked well if you do NOT include any media
handler, but that is what I'm trying to do right now (to have audio
support).

Good luck. From looking through the Nomad SDK, Gstreamer appears to be only partially installed. You might have better luck with ffmpeg directly. I did fix Gnash's configure to better handle a broken and partially installed Gstreamer, so it'll now build fine. I just had to disable some features, like auto-probing for input devices like a webcam. (you can set this in your .gnashrc file anyway)

In the meantime there is a newer one, which I'm testing right now:
http://developer.sdgsystems.com/sdk/sdk-addon-qtex4.4.3-release1.tgz

  I used the newer one, with my changes.

The Nomad comes with an (old) GST pre-installed, but some other libs
are missing. I downloaded and built them separately (for running Gnash
I put the .so files in the same directory, for simplicity):

Which I cleaned up an reorganized to work the standard way. The improved sysroot that successfully builds Gnash is at:
http://www.gnashdev.org/tools/sdg/arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi.tar.bz2

I invoked "configure" with these options:

../trunk/configure --with-top-level=/opt/sdg/angstrom2007.12/sdk/arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi --host=arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi --build=i686-pc-linux-gnu --enable-gui=fb --enable-extensions=fileio.

Currently some manual patches are necessary to help building Gnash
(current trunk). Bug reports are files for this.

  All fixed in trunk as of revno # 11502.

First, the following define must be removed from gnashconfig.h because
the GST version used in the SDK is 0.10.14 and Gnash detects 0.10.15:
   //#define HAVE_GSTREAMER_0_10_GST_PBUTILS_INSTALL_PLUGINS_H 1

Also, g_strcmp0() is not available and this line must be added to
gnashconfig.h:

   #define g_strcmp0 strcmp

I changed g_strcmp0 to strcmp where I found it. The other issue is pbutils headers are installed, but not the library support. This is now fixed in trunk. The other problem was the Gstreamer headers wanted libxml2 headers, which we don't look for. When building native, we use pkg-config to get the flags, which include libxml2. When cross configuring with no pkg-config, we have to find all the pieces of Gstreamer ourselves. So I had to add libxml to the sanity check of what is found.

Could be that this function is not being used anymore, I didn't check
this.

  Just a glib dependency missed cause of cross-configuring.

Earlier the build filed for the "utilities" directory, so I modify
that Makefile to completely skip building it.

  Also fixed.

Without --enable-media=gst this produced a working Gnash build for the
Nomad, altough this was some months ago.

My newer build is at: http://www.gnashdev.org/tools/sdg/gnash-nomad.tar.bz2. This is trunk as of revno #11502. I don't have any Nomad hardware, so I can't test it. (add begging for cool hardware here... :-) )