Re: [Gnash-dev] Removal candidates

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Removal candidates
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2011 07:22:09 -0600

On Sat, Mar 19, 2011 at 10:23:42AM +0100, Benjamin Wolsey wrote:

> I am trying to get consensus to remove these things, and where there is
> consensus I'll continue to remove them.

  There has been no consensus on removing code. I'm with John on this, leaving
code in makes it more accessible to end users. I let you remove code because
I'm trying to be open minded and let everyone have a say in Gnash's direction.
Personally, I wouldn't delete anything, so there is no consensus on this, and
as we say in Rainbow, "I block"...

> We have a modern version control system.

  Leaving code in means it's in the source tarball, so a new end user can much
more easily find it. For somebody that is new to Gnash, digging back through
hundreds of commit messages is *not* a trivial exercise. Somebody may be able
to grep through the sources to find what they want. That's impossible to do
with git.

> I also give higher priority to the requirements of at least one of the
> remaining active developers, who would like to work on features without
> being slowed down by the sheer amount of unmaintained and indisputably
> unused code.

  Who appointed you to make these decisions ? I have no problem with large
and complex code bases, if you do, you should find another career. Destroying
Gnash to reduce it to something you can work on is not pushing this project
forward at all.

> Finally, at least some of the code I removed recently is not
> formerly-working, as I detailed in earlier mails.

  You missed John's point. It doesn't matter if the code works now, somebody
that wants it to work will fix it. If the code isn't part of any of the
default options, it doesn't cause any problems.