Re: [Gnash-dev] Removal candidates

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Removal candidates
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 14:09:28 -0600

On 03/18/2011 01:44 PM, Benjamin Wolsey wrote:

> FLTK 2 is permanently discontinued as far as I know, so I also would
> recommend removing it.

  I wrote the FLTK2 GUI to replace SDL, but as FLTK2 never really got
released by the FLTK developers, it's never been used as far as I'm
aware. SDL truly sucks. It has a terrible event loop, and if hadn't been
used by GameSWF, I would have never used it either. I actually wish we
could get rid of the SDL dependency in libmedia too.

> Also fine by me. I'm in fact happy to remove all GUIs except SDL,
> GTK, FB, and KDE4 since I don't believe the others are used, and each
> GUI increases the maintenance burden considerably. I only care about
> SDL because I haven't got anything else working under w32; otherwise
> it's not a particularly wonderful GUI.

  Personally, the additional GUIs add very little maintenance, and I
base this on all the years I've worked on Gnash. GTK2 is of course the
best supported, SDL we're stuck with, and KDE4 we should keep to support
those users. The Aqua GUI was supposed to get Gnash working more like a
native OSX application, but it's been unfinished now for years...

  I don't barely understand this urge to remove code from Gnash that
works. As one of the 4 software freedoms is the freedom to run code on
any hardware you choose, these GUIs allow that. Now that OS/2 users have
no support as of earlier today, I assume Haiku is next.

  What is the point ? To reduce the line count ? Lately it seems more
code is getting deleted from Gnash than added... How come nobody works
on new features anymore ? If AVM2 support got as much attention as all
this "clean-up", it'd be complete by now instead of deleted...