Re: [Gnash-dev] Reducing spam on the gnashdev wiki

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Reducing spam on the gnashdev wiki
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 09:56:00 -0600

On 08/31/11 09:10, Robinson Tryon wrote:

> One easy fix, as there are relatively few new legitimate users each
> month, would be to simply require new users to email
> "address@hidden" to get an account. We could just restrict
> access to the create-a-new-account page[1], and post the registration
> email address as an image (to prevent it being harvested for spam).
> There are probably other ways we can reduce the amount of wiki spam we
> get, but this seems quick and easy.

  I'll just note that unless somebody else volunteers, all emails to
"address@hidden" for an account would wind up going to me,
who would then have to add them as a user. This isn't a huge work load
though, but that's how I'd set it up unless somebody else volunteers for
this task. This is less work than removing the spam from the wiki daily
for sure.

  We do get a certain amount of minor edits, mostly spelling fixes and
URL updates, but I'd assume those folks won't mind asking if it's clear
we're just trying to reduce spam. Other than those folks, most edits are
by the same handful of people. btw thanks to all for adding to or
improving the gnashdev wiki.