Re: [Gnash-dev] Reducing spam on the gnashdev wiki

From: Robinson Tryon
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Reducing spam on the gnashdev wiki
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 12:04:34 -0400

On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 11:56 AM, Rob Savoye <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 08/31/11 09:10, Robinson Tryon wrote:
>
>> One easy fix, as there are relatively few new legitimate users each
>> month, would be to simply require new users to email
>> "address@hidden" to get an account. We could just restrict
>> access to the create-a-new-account page[1], and post the registration
>> email address as an image (to prevent it being harvested for spam).
>> There are probably other ways we can reduce the amount of wiki spam we
>> get, but this seems quick and easy.
>
>  I'll just note that unless somebody else volunteers, all emails to
> "address@hidden" for an account would wind up going to me,
> who would then have to add them as a user. This isn't a huge work load
> though, but that's how I'd set it up unless somebody else volunteers for
> this task. This is less work than removing the spam from the wiki daily
> for sure.

I'd be happy to be on the alias list for that email address.

The way I've used an registration@ email address in the past is that
you just have it forward to a couple of people; the first person to
read the email can reply-to-all with a quick "Hi, we're setting up
your account now." The user gets a quick response, the admins avoid
duplicating efforts, etc.

>  We do get a certain amount of minor edits, mostly spelling fixes and
> URL updates, but I'd assume those folks won't mind asking if it's clear
> we're just trying to reduce spam.

Yep, if we just put a note on that registration page "To reduce spam
on the wiki, please take the following steps to register: ..." I think
that we can avoid pretty much all complaints.