Re: [Gnash] Re: Time for a new gnash release?

From: Markus Gothe
Subject: Re: [Gnash] Re: Time for a new gnash release?
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2007 17:54:47 +0100

Indeed, I totally agree... There is no use in releasing a new version
just for the sake of recruitment etc. A new release should IMO 1)
include new features and 2) be stable.

//Markus

Rob Savoye wrote:
> Patrice Dumas wrote:
>
>> Once again, I don't think that wider use is a interesting goal
>> for gnash by now. Hopefully it will become at some point, but
>> currently, and in my opinion, completing some features and fixing
>> some bugs is more important. Doing a release costs time, 2
>> branches have to be maintained separately and  a freeze has to
>> happen.
>
> The last release was in Nov, only a few months ago. That release
> was much more functional and stable than the previous release, so
> it was a good one. Right now about 80% of the bug reports are
> "doesn't work with youtube", so it seems silly to do the next
> release till streaming video is working. This is the current focus
> of development, when it works, we'll do another release. That has
> us on a rough 6 month release cycle, which many other projects also
> follow. To do a release before it's ready just means being buried
> in bug reports. Gnash CVS has been quite unstable for a while now
> while we do much critical work. This work is more important, and
> once CVS stabilizes, we'll be doing another release.
>
> I've been working on free software projects for a very long time,
> and a release doesn't effect the recruiting of more developers. In
> fact, a release doesn't really seem to effect anything much at all.
> Also preparing a release is a huge amount of additional work, and
> I'd rather us focus on the video and performance improvements for
> now. The next release is going to be a really good one after the
> current Gnash development projects are completed. (video, Flash
> debugger, many bug fixes)
>
> I run many GNU projects out of their CVS tree or their CVS
> snapshots to get continuing improvement of those projects, so I
> guess I don't see the problem. Gnash seems to be like WINE,
> everybody forgets that developing complex software takes time, and
> want to use it fully functional long before it's truly ready. If we
> had more developers, we'd get things done faster, so if you want to
> increase the speed of Gnash development, send me your C++ coder
> friends! (that haven't signed the damn EULA)
>
> - rob -

- --

Mr Markus Gothe
Software Engineer

Phone: +46 (0)13 21 81 20 (ext. 1046)
Fax: +46 (0)13 21 21 15
Mobile: +46 (0)73 718 72 80
Diskettgatan 11, SE-583 35 Linköping, Sweden
www.27m.com