Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Yeeloong arrived, let's hack

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Yeeloong arrived, let's hack
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 23:14:23 +0100

On Thu, Feb 05, 2009 at 10:57:49PM +0100, avr wrote:
> > My Yeeloong arrived today, and I'll get to hacking ASAP.  Please can someone
> > give me info in what remaining tasks are there (specially those not
> > currently
> > being worked on) so I can pick one?
>
> For Orchid you actually sum them up nicely below.
>
> [...]
>
> I think the ubuntu installer/live-image needs a lot of graphical bits and
> large parts of
> the gnome desktop, which still need to be compiled. This goal shouldn't be
> far off
> apart from missing a kernel.

You're actually porting Ubuntu to MIPS?  I assume you're aware that porting a
huge codebase to an architecture it didn't support before requires a
significant amount of QA.

It's fine if you want to work on that, but I doubt any of us has the resources
to even find all those new MIPS-related runtime issues, let alone fix them.

Oh well, since nobody had a take on it, I think I'll start hacking on D-I.  I
expect I can have usable installer in a few days.

--
Robert Millan