Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Another tex package (texlive-base) to hack

From: Russell Currey
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Another tex package (texlive-base) to hack
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 17:07:59 +1000

On Thu, 2009-08-13 at 16:14 +0930, Karl Goetz wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 21:16:31 +0200
> Sam Geeraerts <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Sam Geeraerts schreef:

> > > I assume nobody has up until now, so I've just sent them an email.
> > Hi Sam,
> >
> >      The team working on gNewSense are trying to decide what to do
> > about the
> >      amslatex software.
> >
> > My short answer is: include it  :) .
> >
> >      Considering that AMS probably own all
> >      the code in the package,
> >
> > They do.
> >
> >      is this an acceptable way of dealing with the situation?
> >
> > It's certainly suboptimal, but I think it would be a terrible
> > overreaction to exclude amslatex just because of that.  Let's hope
> > they fix all their files soon.
>
> I see.
> Then I think we can leave it where it is. I still think we should
> include an updated licence file for it though; and a reference back to
> this discussion. Thoughts on that?
> kk

I believe an updated license must be posted to clarify on the situation,
linking to this discussion.  It would be a shame to remove an important
package due to a petty situation, especially considering gNS 2.3 is
around the corner.

The most important thing in this situation is that no-one forgets about
the package and continues to pester ams about the license.

I see no problems with continuing to include amslatex currently.

--
Russell Currey (ruscur/rusty)
Noob programmer, FSF member and gNewSense contributor