Re: [Gnewsense-dev] wicd

From: Ted Smith
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] wicd
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 19:20:08 -0500

On Wed, 2010-02-24 at 10:06 +1030, Karl Goetz wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 17:02:14 -0500
> Ted Smith <address@hidden> wrote:

> > > I understood it this way too.
> > > I am not aware about how many people find that feature useful
> > > anyway. I don't.
> > >

> > VPN support is a vital feature, especially for a netbook.
>
> You are the first person I've seen who uses it (maybe second, my former
> boss might have used it).

RMS uses it. Presumably other FSF staff do as well. A bunch of people in
my workplace use it, since it lets us get to department-internal
servers. Nearly every enterprise workplace has a VPN.

> > Why is this discussion happening, exactly? What's the compelling
> > reason to move away from network-manager and adopt wicd? It seems to
> > me like that will just create a bigger delta at no benefit.
>
> The number of backported packages required for network-manager is
> getting silly.

But as long as it's the default in Debian (which it is, to the best of
my recollection), doesn't adopting something else mean a bigger delta in
the long term? Presumably the backported packages will become stable at
some point, shrinking the delta, but wicd will never be adopted as the
default in Debian.