Re: [Gnewsense-dev] bug #39671: xxkb: fully non-free

From: arnuld uttre
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] bug #39671: xxkb: fully non-free
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2014 20:13:15 +0530

> On 9/14/14, Erik Grun <address@hidden> wrote:

> There are of course alternatives for WhatsApp and GooglePlay.
> Instead of WhatsApp you could use for example TextSecure[1] or
> ChatSecure[2].
> And instead of GooglePlay you could use F-Droid[3].

I did not mean that way.  That was not my point.

I can install ChatSecure right away and who will I chat with then. All
people I know are on whatapp. I put whatsapp on my phone only because
I wanted to connect with them.  None of them will ever use ChatSecure.
I tried most of them to even use Telegram but not one turned his face
away from whataspp.   I had to use whatsapp becaus eeveryone is using
it and has refused to use a free alternative. Why ?

Because general public does not give damn about either security or
free software. I am using GNU/Linux from last 7 years and I have
talked to everyone about this I know,  have pursuaded everyone to use
GNU/Linux but how many use it ?   None.  How many tried it ?   one
..... and he ran back to Windows ?

After 5 years of trying, I stopped telling people about GNU and Linux
and Free and Open Source. Not because I gave up but because for most
of the software engineers and computer science students and especially
general public  GNU,Linux,BSDs are just another OSs which inferior to
Windows. Most software engineers either dual boot GNU/Linux with
Windows and use Windows almost for most of the work or use GNU/Linux
only but without caring what next apt-get will fetch. Does this repo
contain free or non-free  software, "I don't give a damn" attitude. (I
tell about India, no idea about other countries).

Their GNU/Linux installations are filled with binary-blob, no one
really bothers if Google copies their personal photos or bank account
information or sells theire data (they know it anyway).  It only
affects people who care for freedom, whether they use GNU/Linux or
not.

I focussed on changing myself instead and tried to find people who
already want to use free software out of their own natural way of
living. I think I am pretty happier that way, I learned a lot in that
process. Free Software has not only given me freedom, but also lot of
technical knowledge. Free Software community is light years ahead in
technical competence campared to  the ones who do not give a damn but
this is just a side effect. I use gNewSense because I love it, I love
the ideals behind it, and I feel happy everytime I think my OS is 100%
free. I can not change people, I can change myself.

Next I will see how to replace Android with REPLICANT on my device.

--
http://uttre.wordpress.com/
http://lispmachine.wordpress.com/2010/12/08/extract-of-programming/