Re: [gNewSense-users] Vrms Comments

From: Ted Smith
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Vrms Comments
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 23:23:20 -0400

> On Thu, 10 Sep 2009 14:05:01 +0000
> Eric Morey <address@hidden> wrote:
>

> > I found this post and comments on Vrms to interesting:
> > http://blog.nizarus.org/2009/09/are-you-a-100-free-user
> >
> > Eric...

This has been beaten to death, but vrms is really not a good example of
what is free on your system... For instance, one of my Ubuntu machines:

> Non-free packages installed on stormbringer
>
> autoconf-doc              automatic configure script builder documentation
^^ GFDL
> ebook-dev-alp             [EBOOK-DEV] Advanced Linux Programming
^^ FSF approved free license
> linux-generic             Complete Generic Linux kernel
> linux-restricted-modules- Non-free Linux 2.6.28 modules helper script
> linux-restricted-modules- Restricted Linux modules for generic kernels
> make-doc                  Documentation for the GNU version of the "make"
> utilit
^^GFDL
> manpages-posix            Manual pages about using POSIX system
> manpages-posix-dev        Manual pages about using a POSIX system for
> developmen
^^Don't know the license, but not even software
> mit-scheme-doc            MIT/GNU Scheme documentation
^^GFDL
> mpi-specs                 [EBOOK-DEV] MPI 1.1 and 2.0 Specifications of MPI
> Foru
^^Also not software
> nvidia-173-modaliases     Modaliases for the NVIDIA binary X.Org driver
> nvidia-180-kernel-source  NVIDIA binary kernel module source
> nvidia-180-libvdpau       Video Decode and Presentation API for Unix
> nvidia-180-modaliases     Modaliases for the NVIDIA binary X.Org driver
> nvidia-71-modaliases      Modaliases for the NVIDIA binary X.Org driver
> nvidia-96-modaliases      Modaliases for the NVIDIA binary X.Org driver
> nvidia-glx-180            NVIDIA binary Xorg driver
> ocaml-book-en             English book: "Developing applications with
> Objective
> ocaml-doc                 Documentation for Objective Caml and Camlp4
^^ Also not software, arguably free license
> rutebook                  Linux: Rute User's Tutorial and Exposition, an
> online
^^ Arguably non-free documentation license, but not software
> tangerine-icon-theme      Tangerine Icon theme
^^ CC-BY-SA I'm fairly sure
> unrar                     Unarchiver for .rar files (non-free version)
>   Reason: Modifications problematic
>
>             Contrib packages installed on stormbringer
>
> b43-fwcutter              Utility for extracting Broadcom 43xx firmware
> jde                       JDEE, Java Development Environment for Emacs(en)
^^GPLv2 (???)
> nvidia-common             Find obsolete NVIDIA drivers
> nvidia-settings           Tool of configuring the NVIDIA graphics driver
>
>   22 non-free packages, 1.0% of 2175 installed packages.
>   4 contrib packages, 0.2% of 2175 installed packages.

RMS would certainly not agree with (much of) this output.