Re: [Gnu-arch-users] moving an archive

From: Zack Brown
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] moving an archive
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 06:47:27 -0700

On Mon, Sep 15, 2003 at 12:35:44AM -0700, Dustin Sallings wrote:

> On Sunday, Sep 14, 2003, at 23:52 US/Pacific, Robert Anderson wrote:
>
> >A category has to live in an archive, so I am guessing you mean you'd
> >like to move it into a new archive.
> >
> >To do that, you "tag" it into a new archive.  See "tla tag --help".
> >Also, review the relevant sections of the tutorial.
> >
> >Something like:
> >% tla archive-setup address@hidden/cat--branch--0
> >% tla tag address@hidden/cat--branch--0
> >address@hidden/cat--branch--0
>
>       I've done some of this and I've seen it work, but it just seems
>       wrong somehow.  I guess it's just that that doesn't move the whole
> category, but the single branch/version, right?
>
>       Either way, I got a big smile when I read this.  It's so incredibly
> cool to be able to tag (for branching--just to satisfy my CVS baggage)
> such that the new tagged version doesn't require access to the original
> archive, yet keeps its history.

AFAIK it *does* require access to the original archive. When you tag a
category into a new archive, you're creating the equivalent of a
symbolic link, *not* moving the data. If you delete the old archive, you
lose all your work.

It would be nice to have a clean way to really move a category to a new
archive though.

Be well,
Zack