Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: {arch} directory

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: {arch} directory
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 15:13:10 -0400

On Wed, Sep 24, 2003 at 06:59:25PM +0100, MJ Ray wrote:
> Are there many shells which don't have braces as a significant
> character?  I'm fairly sure bash, tcsh, zsh and rc all do.  It's a
> fairly effective way of keeping users out of {arch} but a pain when
> you want to do brain surgery.

A brace only has a special shell meaning if it occurs by itself (as a word)
or if there's a comma inside some braces.  Bash _will_ automatically add
backslashes before any unquoted brace during completion, but this is
apparently just a completion artifact (and has no real effect other than to
make completion happy).

-Miles
--
Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it
has to be us.  -- Jerry Garcia