Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: tla update-config

From: Jan Hudec
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: tla update-config
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 09:19:45 +0200

On Tue, Sep 30, 2003 at 23:08:00 +0200, Samuel Tardieu wrote:
> Jan> Since order of application of non-conflicting patches (with
> Jan> common base) is not important, only difference is what gets in
> Jan> rejects on conflicts.  That's not worth the extra work in most
> Jan> cases.
>
> Repeating this argument won't make it true :)
>
> I use "update" as often as "replay", for example when I track Tom's
> changes to Arch. I want to deal with rejects of *my* changes only, not
> with rejects of Tom's changes. And this is just one example.

Many uses of arch are where one tracks someone else's sources without
modifying them. Either just keeping up with development or using own
branch for changes. In such cases, update and replay are equivalent.

(Since you use update as often as replay and I only use replay,
that results in replay being used more often on average ;-D ).

> I would really like a update-config and replay-config in fact. Maybe a
> star-merge-config also :)))

I would like yo see all of them too. Since they are almost the same --
just find the trees and call appropriate command upon each, it shouldn't
be hard.

                                                 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec
<address@hidden>