[Gnu-arch-users] Re: losing pristine trees? Slowdown for network archive

From: Pau Aliagas
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: losing pristine trees? Slowdown for network archives...
Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2003 22:08:54 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 5 Oct 2003, Paul Hedderly wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 05, 2003 at 11:05:37AM -0700, Tom Lord wrote:

> My point was that if there is no pristine tree (in the local {arch})
> then what-changed is going to have to compare with a revlib in the
> archive (which could be over a distant network).

Revision libraries are local (uncompressed hardlinked source trees).
Cached revisions belong to the archive (tar.gz'ed source trees).
Pristine trees are local too.

So, you don't need network connectivity if you have a revlib.

> This raises a) that network may not be available. So I can't commit or
> update anyway, but I can no longer what-changed, undo/redo etc.
> b) commands like what-changed, undo, redo and anything that depend on
> those are going to be much slower.
>
> Just say if I clearly don't understand :O)

You are right IFF you don't have the revision in the library or the
revision pristine tree or the local mirror of the archive.

Pau