Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Nit

From: Momchil Velikov
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Nit
Date: 21 Oct 2003 10:24:07 +0300

>> From: Dustin Sallings <address@hidden>

Tom>     [Exceptions are wonderful.]

Tom> Eh.

Tom> As the part of thread between me and Walters illustrates, it takes a
Tom> lot of work to employ exceptions without screwing up abstraction
Tom> barriers.

Tom> As reams and reams of unix code, not to mention tla, illustrates:  you
Tom> can write quite useful tools without the hassle of exceptions.

  False example. exit(2) practically constitutes an unhandled
exception and tla doesn't even bother to clean up after itself.

  Sure you can write useful tools without exceptions, only that it is
harder.  Not a surprise that virtually EACH language and API provide
some means for "out-of-band" code paths (however crippled they may
be).  For example setjmp/longjmp, pthreads cleanup handlers,
unwind-protect, atexit (of the non-traditional forms of exception
handling).

~velco