Re: [Gnu-arch-users] arch and linux 2.7

From: zander
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] arch and linux 2.7
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 22:04:13 +0100

On Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 12:37:19PM -0800, Tom Lord wrote:
> > From: address@hidden
> > Wasn't this thread on; "if we propose arch for kernel; we should finish this
> > first or we don't stand a change..." ?
>
> > That was wat I got from it anyhow..
>
> "Finish this first" is an underspecified concept.
> [...
> The issue is the way
> you're relating that to the vague goal of "get kernel project design
> wins".]

Right, I did make myself very clear here;  Its easy to assume ideas are
shared..

If arch is to be used by many people (which I think kernel development implies)
and each of them has to learn arch, and like it, before it will actually 'catch
on' there is the matter of making it as usable as possible. Or as you would
probably correct me; "as usable as needs be" :)

In the last weeks I have been evaluating tla and found the error messages
getting in my way of learning tla.

An easy example:

I did:
tla archive-setup myProj--mainline--0.1
cd myProj
tla init-tree myProj--main--0.1
[ some tla add's here]
tla import

This failed with a message saying that myProj--main--0.1 was locked.
and some panic...

This caused me quite some confusion since I was afraid my earlier attempts
to import or commit that failed could have created an inconsistency in the
archive, so I would have to start all over again.  (yeah yeah; I'm a stupid
user.. :)

Had the error message been that the archive did not exist it would have
been a lot easier; and if that message would also have suggested the right
command... As an example:

$tla import
Fatal: Can not import, archive does not exist: myProj--main--0.1
Did you do an archive-setup for the project you try to import?

Naturally the archive-setup could also be implied by the import, or even done
diretly after an 'ok' by the user.

All in all; it can always be nicer and more perfect; my take is that its just
too rough right now.
--
Thomas Zander