Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Arch On Cygwin(Win32)

From: John Kinson
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Arch On Cygwin(Win32)
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 11:40:59 +0000

Continuing the approach of modifying tla (hackerlab) rather than Cygwin to support long paths natively, I've successfully used the Win32 Unicode interface to implement some of the required file system operations (e.g. calling CreateDirectoryW() with "\\?\" prepended to the path).

When I import into tla, however, the import now falls over due to a stat failure on the long path. There is a Unicode function _wstat() in Windows, but it doesn't appear to support long paths (i.e. it takes a Unicode path, but it doesn't understand the "\\?\" syntax, and won't recognise a long path).

Have you come across (or even better, managed to get this working) in Cygwin yet?

I think stat() is quite a fundamental function. It's hard to imagine a fully functional system that doesn't either implement stat() correctly for long paths, or use some clever workaround.

JK
--
http://www.yellowradio.com/
What if the Hokey Cokey really _is_ what it's all about?