[Gnu-arch-users] Progress on backbuilder

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Progress on backbuilder
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 23:08:49 -0500

Hi all,
I'm pleased to say I've made progress on "the backbuilder". That is, the ability to build an older revision backwards from a newer revision.

It now respects continuations anywhere in a branch. There's still some tweaking to go before it's ready for integration, (and some test cases to write and such). But the current code works, and doesn't use unsafe optimizations.

Tom, please have a look at scan_archive (), because I think it's The Future. It's an attempt to make a good tradeoff between getting as much at once as possible (for pipelining/parallel operations, etc), and not retrieving anything we don't need (for serial operations). The result is a bit ugly, but I don't see a prettier alternative.

I imagine making it an archive operation, with the current implementation used for serial pfses, and a new implementation for http (and sftp? I've read it supports simultaneous operations). That should win back most of the speed the back-builder loses by grovelling through every revision between the target and the library/pristine revision.

My latest:
address@hidden/tlasrc--backbuild--0--patch-48
http://sourcecontrol.net/~abentley/archives/tlasrc

Aaron