Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [OT] the poetry of donald rumsfeld

From: Robin Farine
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [OT] the poetry of donald rumsfeld
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 18:18:16 +0100

Pierce T.Wetter III wrote:

* IMHO, we haven't had a Secretary of Defense since 9/11

Speaking about 9/11, I find the whole thing a good illustration of

  1. something happens
  2. some people interpret (i.e. abstract, transform) what they
     "observed", facts related to what happened, and produce a theory
  3. other people mix there own "observations" with what people in 2
     said about what happened and arrange bits of the whole thing to
     produce a "plausible" theory
  4. the rest of us makes no direct observation but we build our own
     theory based on what we hear and we happily ignore/hide any
     contradiction or suspicious deduction
  5. one of the theory emerging at 4 becomes the official explanation
     of 1 and it also becomes the truth (since one could see it on
     every TV channel and in every newspaper).

As an illustration, here is an alternate theory about 9/11 that does not look less plausible than the official theory "http://newsmine.org/archive/9-11/questions/ghost-riders-in-the-sky.txt";. Let us guess why it did not become officially recognized as the truth.

Not that I say that it contains more truth than the official version, but rather that to promote peace, responsible behavior or whatever in this direction, one should start by thinking a lot about the "truth" on an event before jumping to conclusions and reacting.

Robin