Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Bounty for tla on win32

From: Andrew Suffield
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Bounty for tla on win32
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 03:26:25 +0100

On Mon, Mar 29, 2004 at 05:39:50PM -0800, Tom Lord wrote:
> A dream-future would have my paypal links replaced with pay-list links
> that split up contributions amount contributors according to various
> criterea.   It's a touchy issue because it comes close to operating as
> a corporation but, afaict, it's workable.

It's workable providing you have a tame skilled accountant available
to do the paperwork. Schemes like this are unbelievably complicated to
handle, mostly for taxation reasons. You don't *need* to incorporate
to do it, but if you can run it through a non-profit then less of the
money will go to the state (otherwise they'll tax it twice).

Unfortunately there are no meaningful free software projects for
accountancy on this scale or above, and the commercial ones (sage,
etc) were evidently designed by the same people who designed the paper
forms; they're ridiculous. So the accountants have secured their jobs
for the next cycle at least.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |