Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Fast commits

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Fast commits
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2004 19:00:54 -0500

On Sat, Apr 03, 2004 at 06:04:00PM -0500, Colin Walters wrote:
> It is nice and clean, but we have to face the fact that mkpatch/dopatch
> have to treat some filenames specially; e.g. {arch}/=tagging-method.
> There's absolutely no way around that.  Once you see it that way,
> treating the patch logs specially isn't really different.

... and it'd make a more efficient representation for .arch-ids pretty
trivial (the only real problem with doing it now being that it requires
special diff/patch treatment).

Would it be easier/more-reliable to make dispatching specialized diff/patch
handlers based on the _id-tag_ rather than the filename (I'm thinking that
there may be places in the code where the tag is availabe, but the name is
not)?  The sort of special arch files being discussed here already have their
own special id-tag namespace, so ...

-Miles
--
The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.
  --Albert Einstein