Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: cvs interoperation question

From: David Allouche
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: cvs interoperation question
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 23:26:12 +0200

On Fri, Apr 30, 2004 at 12:45:33PM +0900, Miles Bader wrote:

> For my main purpose (emacs) automatic changeset deduction is pretty much
> a non-starter anyway, but I think even in the case where CVS committers
> are disciplined enough to make _detection_ of CVS `changesets' possible,
> attempting to preserve the boundaries in both directions would make
> arch<->CVS synchronization quite a bit more difficult.  The reason is
> that both systems require the tree to be `up to date' before committing,
> and if you want to replay and commit changesets in _both_ directions,
> you end up in a situation where you want to commit from a tree that's
> only partially up-to-date.

Some time ago I put on a wiki page explaining how that can actually be
done with cscvs. Indeed, the double up-to-dateness requirement makes it
a bit hairy, but I have put up a proof-of-concept script which
automates it. It is part of tlash in tlash/bin/totla-sync.

tlacontrib: address@hidden/tlacontrib--devo--1.3

The main problem is that it requires the user to run "cscvs totla" the
merging commands by hand, but so many things can go wrong at so many
places that I do not think it can really be done fully automatically.
However, there is ample room for additional automation by integrating it
into cscvs.

--
                                                            -- ddaa