Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Selected files commit

From: Matthieu Moy
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Selected files commit
Date: Sat, 01 May 2004 01:38:53 +0200

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm afraid I don't really even understand what you're worried about.
>
> On Fri, Apr 30, 2004 at 10:46:13PM +0200, Matthieu Moy wrote:
>> But the Arch  philosophy is to start editing the log  file as early as
>> possible.
>
> Huh?  I'm aware of no such `arch philosophy'.  Care to expand on this?

Well, the usual way with CVS is

1) do some modifications
2) cvs commit
3) edit the file when your editor pops up

PCL-CVS allows you to do 1-3-2.

With arch, you're encourraged to

1) tla make-log
2) do some modifications -- Edit the log file while you are doing them
3) tla commit

(The tutorial, for example, says: "Whenever you create a new revision,
the first step is to create a log file for that revision")

There's no big difference, but there's still a little one.

> As for editing the log file, I'd just pop up a buffer editting `tla make-log`
> -- if the user wants to `pre-edit the log`, he'll have done tla make-log
> himself earlier, and it's careful not erase any existing log file.

We already have this. M-x tla-edit-log  RET at any time brings you the
log file. C-c C-c in this buffer commits.

> For projects like emacs that use GNU-style ChangeLogs, I usually use a log
> file generated using my `tla-changelogs-to-log' command (which looks at the
> _changes_ in ChangeLog files, and tweaks them into a friendly format), so it
> would be nice to have a `xtla-generate-log-buffer-command' (or -function, or
> -hook, or something) that I can override; usually this would just do `tla
> make-log' though.

Not  sure  to   understand  what  you  mean,  but   I  think  this  is
`tla-make-log' in xtla.

Do you prefer it like this:

(defun tla-make-log-function nil
  "function used to create the log buffer. If nil, call tla make-log
and open the log file")

(defun tla-make-log ()
  (interactive)
  (if tla-make-log-function
      (funcall tla-make-log-function)
    (tla-run-arch nil t 'make-log "make-log")
    (let ((output (tla-get-process-output)))
      (when (string= output "")
        (error "Can't create log file. Probably not in a project tree"))
      output)))

> p.s., Don't use `-face' suffixes in your defface'd face names!

Yes, we've just been discussing this  on the ML. Will be removed in my
next changeset. Thanks anyway,

--
Matthieu