Re: [Gnu-arch-users] library or revisions ??!!!

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] library or revisions ??!!!
Date: Mon, 03 May 2004 11:17:36 -0400

address@hidden wrote:
Hello,

Perhaps I am going to be crazy but when I do the commands :

tla make-archive address@hidden /var/arch/archives/2004--01
mkdir /var/arch/library && tla my-revision-library --add !$
tla my-default-archive address@hidden tla archive-setup ungi-print-server--principale--1.4

cd /var/arch/projets/ungips
tla init-tree ungi-print-server--principale--1.4
tla tree-lint -t |tla add
tla import --setup
vi `tla make-log`

on one server and do the same on other server2

I'v got
----------------------

%tla get address@hidden/ungi-print-server--principale--1.4--bbase-0 ungips

:~/arch/projets % tla get address@hidden/ungi-print-server--principale--1.4--base-0< ungips

* from revision library: address@hidden/ungi-print-server--principale--1.4--base-0<

This isn't right. It should say "auto-adding to greedy revision library". Instead, it already has the revision in the library. But you just created the revision. Therefore, the library must have a different revision with the same name. This is impossible unless you've been manually fiddling with the files in your archive, e.g. deleting revisions.

If you delete revisions, or recreate an archive with the same archive name and version name, you are changing history. This is not supported by Arch, and even experienced users get it wrong. It's far, far easier to use a different version name (or number) than to get it right when changing history.

If you must change history, you must systematically eradicate all traces of the previous timeline, including:

- library revisions
- project trees
- the revisions in the archive itself.
- the revisions in any mirrors that other people have made of your archive

Aaron
--
Aaron Bentley
Director of Technology