Re: [Gnu-arch-users] "tla commit" generates a patch-set even if there ar

From: Robert Widhopf-Fenk
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] "tla commit" generates a patch-set even if there are no changes
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 14:38:41 +0200

On Thursday, May 13, 2004 at 20:56:43, James Blackwell wrote:

> >> Not so. :)
> >>
> >> Here's two reasons:
> >>
> >> 1. This provides a mechanism for adding a note to the patchlogs
> >>    without having to make a nonsense patch. (For example,
> >>    'blaming')
> >>
> >> 2. If you get stuck in a position where you need to
> >>    cacherev, but you don't have any code that you actually
> >>    need to change, you can do an 'empty commit' to push a
> >>    cacherev to a mirror.
> >
> > O.k. while this sounds reasonable to me I still think those
> > two are not the default situation and I would prefer being
> > asked before unless I use a --force switch.
>
> Of course those are the common reasons. The two most likely cases
> are:
>
> 1) You have *just* made changes to the tree, and you know you want
> commit
>
> 2) You come across a working copy that you haven't worked in for
>    awhile.
> You can't remember what, if any changes are there. You need to run
> tla what-changed, in order to figure out if anything changed and if
> so, what.
>
> What kind of commit logs would you make in which you're unsure about
> what has changed in your tree (simple logic dictates that if you're
> complaining about "empty commits", you didn't know what you were
> committing in the first place)

Well I an sure about what changed, but just selected the
wrong terminal with a shell in the wrong branch.  Sure,
should have checked it before committing, but I am lazy -
most people are lazy.  Help us.

> This is a simple case in whidch you're being shown that you're
> making stupid mistakes up front, while the cost is "low", and helps
> you build the habits to work properly. :)

Two reasons:

1. Good software should ease my work, i.e. prevent me doing
   stupid things, since I make mistakes due to being tired,
   confused by whatever, changing habits, forgetting things.
2. New users confused by this behavior will ask again, for
   what it is good for having empty commit => save YOUR time
   answering & discussing this again!

Robert