Re: [Gnu-arch-users] "tla commit" generates a patch-set even if there ar

From: James Blackwell
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] "tla commit" generates a patch-set even if there are no changes
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 12:23:39 -0400

>> What kind of commit logs would you make in which you're unsure about
>> what has changed in your tree (simple logic dictates that if you're
>> complaining about "empty commits", you didn't know what you were
>> committing in the first place)
>
> Well I an sure about what changed, but just selected the
> wrong terminal with a shell in the wrong branch.  Sure,
> should have checked it before committing, but I am lazy -
> most people are lazy.  Help us.

(still playing devil's advocate)

And now you've learned better in a place that was merely "embarrassing",
rather than in a place where you really did commit something substantive
that you didn't mean to commit.

Empty commits are the fair-haired nephew of "false commits" -- a commit
in which there really is a change there, but not the change you thought
you were committing when you committed.

>> This is a simple case in whidch you're being shown that you're
>> making stupid mistakes up front, while the cost is "low", and helps
>> you build the habits to work properly. :)
>
> Two reasons:
>
> 1. Good software should ease my work, i.e. prevent me doing
>    stupid things, since I make mistakes due to being tired,
>    confused by whatever, changing habits, forgetting things.

The unix world has a strong healthy tradition of allowing "stupid"
things, because sometimes, the "stupid" thing isn't once you've
thought about.

> 2. New users confused by this behavior will ask again, for
>    what it is good for having empty commit => save YOUR time
>    answering & discussing this again!

You speak as if getting to know the community is a bad thing!

In all seriousness, when we're talking about commits, we're no longer
talking about a bunch of clueless "I'm mainly into hardware" types that
need simple step by step instructions on how to get a working copy.
Instead, we're dealing with developers, who should know better.

Why am I adverse to a special flag for empty commits? Because sometimes
I use empty commits, and I don't want to have to go through the extra
effort to type --force. :)

Take care,
James

--
James Blackwell          Please do not send me carbon copies of mailing
Smile more!              list posts. Such mail is unsolicited. Thank you!