[Gnu-arch-users] Re: tla-update-ids lacks support for filenames with spa

From: Miles Bader
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: tla-update-ids lacks support for filenames with spaces
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 18:24:29 +0900

Jan Hudec <address@hidden> writes:
> Well, the language does not need to know it's using unicode. But you
> need to have charset conversion function that can do unicode available.

All the ways I'm actually going to _use_ the filename involve giving it
to some other program in the form it appeared in the first place on disk
-- if the user's using unicode, then probably as a UTF-8 string, but
possibly as some other weird encoding that has nothing to do with
unicode.  It's really annoying to be required to have fancy conversions
functions just to get back what was there in the first place (possibly
incorrectly, if the original wasn't actually UTF-8).

Really all I want is a sort of bare-minimum escaping, that escapes
newline and space, and I guess that's it (I suppose \0 is a lost cause
though).

How about --slightly-escaped?

-Miles
--