Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: [BUG] microbranches: prism-merge vs multi-merge

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: [BUG] microbranches: prism-merge vs multi-merge
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 17:36:37 -0400

On Thu, May 27, 2004 at 05:20:01PM -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> One way to do that would be to have a command like
>
>     % tla commit --base address@hidden/toto--titi--3.4
>
> which would do the same as
>
>     % tla commit
>
> except that the new revision would be a continuation of
> address@hidden/toto--titi--3.4.

I've never used `larch' (the wonky shell-script predecessor to tla), but I
seem to recall it actually had something like `larch commit --continuation',
and in fact, that was how you made tags (no `tag' command).

I'd really like something like this, but I'm still nervous about how the
result would interact with merging commands; for instance, if I was in the
habit of star-merging from branch A to branch B, and then commited such a
`continuation' changeset to A, what would happen the next time I star-merged
from A to B?

-Miles
--
`There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
 Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.'