Re: [Gnu-arch-users] =partner-versions

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] =partner-versions
Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 16:42:02 -0400

Miles Bader wrote:

It will stop after the first merge that changed the target tree.

This sounds a bit wonky...

For instance, what if the tree is already modified when you give the command;
will it just stop after the first partner even if that partner didn't cause
any further change?

No, it will say "project tree has uncommitted changes", and abort.

I very commonly merge from multiple `partner versions'
in one go, and commit the whole mess as a single changeset.

"Whole mess" strikes me as a very apt description. :-) I really don't like the idea of committing multiple merges in one go.

For me, maybe a more useful formulation would be something like:

   while partners remain; do
     if the tree has any conflicts (.rej files), stop!
     merge from the next partner
   done

This part I would not support as default behavior.

   exit status is:
     0 if all partners were processed succesfully and something got merged
     1 if all partners were processed succesfully and nothing got merged
     2 if a conflict stopped things
     ...etc...

I'd be happy to do this, though.

I'm being so picky because if there's going to be a standard of sorts, I want
to make tla-partner support it as best as possible (though since it's a
`generic' partner operator rather than say specific to merging or whatever
that's not always going to be possible of course).

Yeah, I wasn't sure what the Right Thing was for all cases, so I've just been handling specific ones.

Aaron

--
Aaron Bentley
Director of Technology