Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Some issues

From: Florian Weimer
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Some issues
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 19:45:23 +0200

* Charles Duffy:

> On Wed, 2004-06-09 at 11:29, Florian Weimer wrote:
>> > I don't see how this is a design defect.  If you want to start fresh,
>> > use a new archive -- don't try to change history and deny the branch
>> > existed.
>>
>> But this is exactly what creates stale branches. 8-)
>
> I think those are called "history".
>
> Storing history is generally considered a feature in a revision control
> system.

Yes, you can't actually remove them, that's clear.  Sealing them is
probably enough.

>> > How so?  If you have the tar file, you can use show-changeset to get a
>> > summary of the changes or apply it to your tree.  I have not plumbed
>> > the details of some of the files and directories in a changeset, but
>> > most of them seem to be there for a reason.
>>
>> Yeah, but it's kind of hard to review a changeset in that format
>> without additional tools.
>
> tla show-changeset is "additional tools" enough for this purpose.

If you send tarballs to mailing lists, Google won't index them.  You
can't Cc: someone outside your project for comments because he might
not be able to read them.  I think these are serious drawbacks.

If you think you and your project live in a separate, arch-only world,
that's a non-issue, of course.

> ReiserFS is designed to promote just these kinds of "abuse" -- and the
> htree branch of ext3 isn't exactly slouchy either. There are filesystems
> built with performance in many-small-files configurations in mind; if
> this is, to you, such a pressing concern, you may wish to consider using
> one.

You might copy some insults from asuffield, too, maybe the issue
disappears after a while.

--
Current mail filters: many dial-up/DSL/cable modem hosts, and the
following domains: bigpond.com, di-ve.com, fuorissimo.com, hotmail.com,