Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Some issues

From: Milan Cvetkovic
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Some issues
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 13:46:17 -0400

Andrew Suffield wrote:
On Wed, Jun 09, 2004 at 01:11:39PM -0400, Milan Cvetkovic wrote:

Categories, branches, and versions are not orthogonal at all and add
unnecessary complexity. Future features cannot differentiate between
them because they are used very inconsistently in existing archives.

No, they are not just the names.

Version must consist of digits and dots only.

Relevance? To almost every tool, it's just a string that gets passed
through.

They are not orthogonal. It is important to me - a human.

Relevance to *anything*?

Yes. I want version to be the project version rather than branch version. It would be usefull to me - a human. And it is relevant to me.
Most Arch archives look too disorganized because of this.

Sounds pretty irrelevant to me.

I know that it is irrelevant to you.

But it is you who said that they are just the names, when in fact they are not.

All I am trying to say is that there are some users and some potential users who do find this quite annoying.

And I presume this is the reason why the original poster put it in his "things he does not like about tla".

Milan.