Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Some issues

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Some issues
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 20:18:34 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: address@hidden (James Blackwell)

    > William Dode wrote:

    > > Why tar, diff and patch are not include inside tla ? It will
    > > avoid this kind of problem...

    > I've also considered the very same thing.

Sure, me too.

Ideally, GNU arch and GNU patch and GNU diff will all continue to work
together well for years and years and years to come so that it won't
be necessary.

    > My prediction is that many moons from now, somebody is going to write
    > those tools directly into arch, tuned to handle all of the problems that
    > you could expect to throw at it (binaries included).

Someone may write it but I doubt anyone will ever benefit from it
having been written in any way serious enough to bother merging and
maintaining it.   At least for tla.

My prediction is that many moons from now there will be many redundent
implementations of arch and that some of them will use GNU diff/patch
but others won't.   That'll be good so long as maintainers of the
varients agree to keep compatible.