Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: arch roadmap 1 (and "what's tom up to")

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: arch roadmap 1 (and "what's tom up to")
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 10:54:09 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: Bruce Stephens <address@hidden>

    > > Does tcl have *any* redeeming features?

    > It has a test suite, and manpages for every command and C function
    > (well, perhaps not every externally visible function, but pretty much
    > every one that you might want to call).  And (once upon a time), it
    > was unusually portable, and had Tk, which made it possible to write
    > functional (if not particularly pretty) GUIs that worked on Unix and
    > Windows.

Along those same lines, the original code, mostly by John O., was a
model of style discipline and clarity of expression.  It was the kind
of program you'd want to give a newbie to cut his teeth on just to
expose him to that and have him try to match the style.  It was the
kind of program you'd want to give your experienced self to hack on
just for the practice.  (I have no idea how the code looks these
days.)

But for a couple of early-on deep mistakes in the language design,
it might have gone somewhere :-)