Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [BUG] [FEATURE-REQUEST] Caching mechanisme for patc

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [BUG] [FEATURE-REQUEST] Caching mechanisme for patch-logs
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2004 00:19:25 -0400

Matthieu Moy wrote:
For most tla operations displaying lists of revisions, using the
options --summary, --author, --date make tla very slow because tla has
to fetch the log file for each revision displayed, and this log file
is often on a remote server.

I suggest a caching mechanisme for patch-log entries, like we already
have revision libraries to cache working directories. My proposal is
to implement this as an extension of the revision library mechanism,
but we could also imagine a separate library.

This problem sounds like one of several that can be solved by archive caching.

The idea is that an archive cache would be a read-only cache that could contain anything that an archive mirror can, including log files. Its purpose would be to prevent the user from downloading the same data twice, (within a reasonable period of time).

The main differences between a local mirror and a cache would be
- caches have incomplete data
- caches fall through to the archive
- caches are created automatically
- caches delete old data
- very different implementation

Anyhow, that's one of my pet ideas. I wish someone would go and implement the darn things, but for the moment we struggle along with local mirrors as an approximation.

Aaron