Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Default version for star-merge (and more)

From: Colin Walters
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Default version for star-merge (and more)
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 15:32:18 -0400

On Tue, 2004-07-13 at 15:01 -0400, James Blackwell wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 13, 2004 at 01:49:41PM -0400, James Blackwell wrote:
> >> In .arch-params/=aliases/ one will find files with names similiar to
> >>

> Scott Parish replied:
> > What's wrong with:
> >
> > $ cat >> ~/.profile <<EOF
> > address@hidden/tla--rbrowse--1.3
> > address@hidden/tla--devo
> > address@hidden
> > address@hidden
> > EOF
> > $ source ~/.profile
> > $ tla rbrowse $lord
> > $ tla get $blacky_rbrowse
> > $ tla star-merge $tladevo
>

> Yuck. I don't like that. That would clog up my environment.

Heh.  Like it would back up and overflow out your keyboard or
something? :)

> Besides. That's a waste of a couple-few hundred bytes for every shell,
> even the ones that have absolutely nothing to do with tla.

That's just a tiny percentage of the runtime size of tla, not to mention
any other programs you almost certainly have running.

> Imagine if every program did that, rather than storing configuration
> information in config files?

But you don't interactively use the configuration for other programs,
whereas you *do* interactively use these environment variables.