Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Default version for star-merge

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Default version for star-merge
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 14:29:57 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: John Meinel <address@hidden>

    > What about the ++star-merge fix? (Keep a file that remembers what the
    > last branch you star-merged from).

That's closer to the variation on the idea that I'd like to see and is
roughly in keeping with plans.   There is still more design work to be
done on it though.

For one thing, my hunch is that I sometimes want that data to be
versioned, not tree-specific.

For another thing: should an upstream branch have a set of reverse
pointers to downstream branches from which merging commonly takes
place?

For another thing: the pointer to the other branch might not be all
that we want to record.   For example, there may be a rule for
how/where to submit a merge request back to upstream.   Perhaps these
additional but related parameters should be planned for here as well.