Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: arch on windows?

From: Ron Parker
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: arch on windows?
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 14:16:45 -0500

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 14:58:01 -0400, Aaron Bentley
<address@hidden> wrote:

> Ron Parker wrote:
> > It does lose semantic information when viewing a directory in
> > isolation.  (Think the vi or emacs directory viewers or shell prompts
> > with the last fragment of the current-working-directory displayed.)
>
> Vim displays the cwd in its directory navigation, so the benefits of
> repeating path components aren't great.

Correct, instead of repeating it here I here's the link to my email
about one's locus of attention,
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnu-arch-users/2004-03/msg00344.html

> Many of us use the *entire* current-working-directory in our shell
> prompts, and this is the default on major Linux distributions.  Such
> paths are ugly and awkward in this context.

This is exactly why I change my PS1 when I am {arch} diving, just to
avoid the noise on my screen, then the c--b--v directory names become
handy.

> They are also more difficult to navigate than necessary-- they
> more-or-less demand tab completion.

Personally I am a lazy programmer, I tend to bang tab until it stops
working then I start consciously typing again whether the form is
c/b/v or c/c--b/c--b--v.

--
Ron Parker

The Stay-Puf Marshmallow man of email messages is coming, prepare to
cross the streams..