Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Status of global and tree aliases

From: Colin Walters
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Status of global and tree aliases
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 21:43:27 -0400

On Tue, 2004-07-20 at 16:05 -0700, Tom Lord wrote:

> You've also repeatedly expressed some hostility towards furth.  I'm
> quite puzzled by that and am starting to wonder if this is just some
> kind of personality conflict or whether you have a good reason to be
> hostile.  So far as I know, you know almost nothing about furth.
> Moreover, adding furth to tla can, in the medium term, result in less
> and simpler code overall -- that should be fairly obvious.  It's
> unclear to me why you are so hostile to furth so perhaps you could
> explain your engineering reasons so that they can be either refuted or
> conceded to.

To me the engineering reasons seem obvious.  In large part it's a
question of resources.  You have spent a whole lot of time designing new
languages, VMs, etc, when there is still an outstanding need for a
security release of tla.  On top of that there are a large number of
outstanding changesets simply waiting to be reviewed from a number of
people like Aaron, Johannes, Miles, and me.  On top of that there are
serious bugs that need to be fixed, like the id corruption bug, the
inefficiency of "tag", race conditions in "tla add", etc.  This whole
discussion is just a big waste of time that could be much more
productively spent on those real issues that have been reported by
actual users.

(Even if those bugs were being fixed I'd be skeptical of
furth/xl/whatever tomorrow's language is, but in order to drop all those
issues on the floor, the other problems have to be *bad*, and I just
don't see that).