[Gnu-arch-users] The status of my merges

From: James Blackwell
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] The status of my merges
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 16:09:27 -0400

Normally, I won't do this particular type of email, but this since this is
the first time, I thought it would be better if I was as transparent as
possible. I think I'm still on track to do 2.6.1-rc1 on or about 31 July.
Depending on how well rc1 goes, there will either be an rc2 about a week after
that, or a 2.6.1 release about two weeks after that.

I'm bumping into all sorts of changesets. Some are very tightly focused,
and have easily discoverable ramifications. Others aren't quite so easy.
Some patches, I just plain can't responsibly evaluate at this time.

More than one patch that I've looked at recently looked safe, but had an
inelegant feel to it. Sometimes, I can put my finger right on it and say
"how about you do this this other way". Other times, I can't quite place
the feeling.  In most of these cases, I've contacted the original
submitter and dropped some hints.

I'm also having a bit of a problem with the various integration branches
that are out there. I one of the problems goes along these lines:

  John fixes X, Y, Z in branch A

  Sally fixes W in branch B

  Chris fixes Y in branch C

  John fixes U,V,W in branch A

  Johhn merges U,V,W,X,Y,Z into an integration branch as patch-M

  I merge Chriss and Sally's B and C

  I then try and merge John's M (which is a conflated U-Z), and get
  conflicts because somebody else already fixed W and Y

What to do, what to do?

1. I could try and resolve the conflicts. This will cause John problems,
   because we now think that M is slightly different things. Besides,
   merging these moderate-to-severe conflicts would be a lot (probably
   too much) work. I also think it makes a mess for John.

2. I could ignore that particular patch from the integration branch,
   and just merge his U,V,X,Z patches directly. This will definitely
   cause John problems in his integration branch.

3. I could not merge John's integration until he reverses his W and Y

4. ?????

Anyways, this is what I've merged so far. My stuff is in in there too, so
that it can be more easily reviewed. Before I go, let me wish all of you a
nice weekend.

James

base-0
    tag of address@hidden/tla--devo--1.3--patch-28

patch-1
    Put new neon in place to get rid of buffer overflow

    merges in:
      address@hidden/tla--newneon--1.3--base-0
      address@hidden/tla--newneon--1.3--patch-1
patch-2
    Added support in rbrowse for archivename/version

    merges in:
      address@hidden/tla--rbrowse--1.3--base-0
      address@hidden/tla--rbrowse--1.3--patch-1
      address@hidden/tla--rbrowse--1.3--patch-2
patch-3
    Brought back -n command in delta for Bentley

    merges in:
      address@hidden/tla--delta--1.3--base-0
      address@hidden/tla--delta--1.3--patch-1
patch-4
    Now one can force a successful return with register-archive

    merges in:
      address@hidden/tla--registerarchive--1.3--base-0
      address@hidden/tla--registerarchive--1.3--patch-1
patch-5
    Allow underscores in email address for archive name

    merges in:
      address@hidden/tla--mailname--1.3--base-0
      address@hidden/tla--mailname--1.3--patch-1
patch-6
    Fix for occasional incorrectly generated changesets (Defresne)

    merges in:
      address@hidden/tla--changeset--1.3--base-0
      address@hidden/tla--changeset--1.3--patch-1
patch-7
    various typos, and change in join-branch help (address@hidden)

    merges in:
      address@hidden/tla--dev--1.3--patch-2
      address@hidden/tla--dev--1.3--patch-3
      address@hidden/tla--dev--1.3--patch-4
      address@hidden/tla--dev--1.3--patch-5
patch-8
    Snap inode sigs for the get --link case (A Bentley -> R Collins)

    merges in:
      address@hidden/tlasrc--sigfix--0--base-0
      address@hidden/tlasrc--sigfix--0--patch-1
      address@hidden/tla--inode-sigs--1.2--patch-9
      address@hidden/tla--integration--1.2--patch-15
      address@hidden/tla--integration--1.3--patch-2
patch-9
    Header inclusion for previous cmd-get (A.Bentley -> R.Collins)

    merges in:
      address@hidden/tla--integration--1.3--patch-4
patch-10
    Input validation (A.Bentley -> R.Collins)

    merges in:
      address@hidden/tlasrc--errors--2--patch-1
      address@hidden/tlasrc--errors--2--patch-3
      address@hidden/tlasrc--errors--2--patch-4
      address@hidden/tlasrc--errors--2--patch-5
      address@hidden/tlasrc--errors--2--patch-6
      address@hidden/tlasrc--errors--2--patch-7
      address@hidden/tlasrc--errors--2--patch-8
      address@hidden/tla--integration--1.3--patch-8
patch-11
    Whitespace fixes for previous patch (Jblack)
patch-12
    Inventory fixes. matching ids, nonexistant dirs, unused ids on
    non-source files (Bentley)

    merges in:
      address@hidden/tlasrc--inventory--1--patch-4
      address@hidden/tlasrc--inventory--1--patch-5