Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Round III: xl and all that

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Round III: xl and all that
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 11:27:11 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: Jeremy Shaw <address@hidden>

    > Tom Lord wrote:

    > >         '#( type        =>      program
    > >             x-squared   =>      (* x x)
    > >             x           =>      42 )
    > >

    > I noticed that the association in the first line is:

    >    type => program

    > not,

    >   type => 'program

    > So, does this mean that program is not self-evaluating -- ie. type can
    > be reduced, and program will be replace with something else? perhaps
    > more specific type information? If so, an 'I will get to that later'
    > will suffice for now.

    > Or am I just misunderstanding something ?

That is a constant association, quoted in whatever context you pulled
it from either to just emphasize it is constant or because some
enclosing xl code required it.

I haven't given any evaluation rule for associations (other than
associations which are sequences or nil).

`program' doesn't need to be quoted in that example because it is
nested inside of an already quoted association ("  '#( ... )  ").