Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [OT] facism gaining ground in US

From: Pierce T . Wetter III
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [OT] facism gaining ground in US
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 16:13:21 -0700

On Jul 26, 2004, at 3:49 PM, Michael Poole wrote:

Pierce T.Wetter III writes:

  However, Roosevelt dies. Truman (his vice president) and Stalin's
  mutual distrust lead to the Cold War.

So at this point, all of Europe is either democratic or constitutional
monarchist due to a lot of prodding from us.

While I'm not familiar enough with European history to speak about
smaller nations, I rather suspect that France and Britain were a
democracy and constitutional monarchy (respectively) by their own
choices and, setting aside WW2, through their own efforts.

 Yes, Britain was a democracy, and the 3rd republic started in France
in 1871, 4th Republic starting again in 1945, 5th Republic in 1958.
Germany, Italy, and Spain started WW2 as fascist states obviously, and
they aren't now.

 But nadim gave me permission to be vague, so I was just trying to
say that our Cold War focus was on democracy in Europe, not so much
democracy in the rest of the world. So Nadim can be as indignant as
he wants about the rest of the world. :-)

 Also, I don't give the US sole credit for all of that, the countries
deserve some credit for that as well. Nadim just seems
to feel that we're this evil presence oppressing everyone, that we're
constantly undermining democracies everywhere, and I don't see that
its true when I look at history outside of Nadim's rather narrow
viewpoint.

But whatever happened to that cooking thread?

I dunno, I posted about my favorite cookbook, but it wasn't controversial so no one responded.

 Pierce