Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Arbitrary version names

From: Jan Hudec
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Arbitrary version names
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 14:39:43 +0200

On Tue, Aug 17, 2004 at 12:10:53 +0000, Esben Mose Hansen wrote:

> On Tuesday 17 August 2004 10:53, Robin Green wrote:
>

> > No. Arbitrary version strings are not allowed because the purpose of
> > arch versions is that they should have a well-defined total order
> > for sorting. It is impossible to sort arbitrary version strings
> > correctly.
>
> Gentoo's portage does a pretty nice job in this regard. Maybe worth a look?
> If

I'd bet it uses the same as debian does. Now, that's a HORROR. It's
not easy to see what it will do and there are a lot cases where it does
not do the right thing anyway---simply because different packages have
*conflicting* version naming. Eg:

One project has: 2.6a > 2.6
Another has: 2.6rc1 < 2.6
How do you create a consistent algorithm to handle this?

> I remember correctly, I wasn't all that much code. And it is a nuisance when

No, it's not much code. But the code does a non-obvious thing.

> tracking other projects which are not under such restrictions, such as KDE
> (currently 3.3rc2).

kde--rc--3.3--patch-2
kde--pre--3.3--versionfix-2

?