Re: [Gnu-arch-users] --forward mostly harmless

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] --forward mostly harmless
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 17:42:21 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: address@hidden (James Blackwell)

    > That would scare me, if anything. That would mean that we'd have a fast
    > moving target we'd have to chase.

I suppose that would depend on who was managing the branch.

    > I think that a lot of patch's appeal is that there's a
    > near-guarantee that anybody you hand a patch to will be able to
    > use it.

On the other hand, there is a huge amount of patch we don't and are
unlikely to ever want to use.   What we do use is fairly simple and
well-defined, recent thread about --forward notwithstanding.

Patch is handy but is not, strictly speaking, what arch needs to be
good.   Patch(1) *compatability* for exact patching --- *that* is
something to never let go of if it can be helped.