Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Preliminary Arch Cache available

From: David Allouche
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Preliminary Arch Cache available
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 13:29:38 +0200

On Tue, 2004-09-14 at 00:45 -0400, Aaron Bentley wrote:
> David Allouche wrote:
>
> > As a complement to disconnected operation, I would like a command to
> > fill the cache with the contents of an archive. Typically, one would
> > fill the cache before going offline or at the beginning of a day of
> > work, when there might be a lot of new stuff.
>
> That's definitely part of the plan for disconnected operation.  The
> issue I'm looking at is: "What's required to fill the cache for a
> version?"
>
> I guess the answer is "whatever is required to build any revision in the
> version".  So you'd want a cacherev at base-0, or possibly in an
> ancestor, so long as the base-0 could be built from that ancestor, plus
> deltas for every revision in the version.

That can have unintended side effects.

For example, if I fill cache for your archive, I'm interested in fai and
pyarch stuff, not in your numerous tla branches and other things. So I
do not want to fetch additional data to build the other branches.

So this would create the need for a smarter limiting mechanism. Like
"only versions already in the cache". But then I'm interested in new
versions of the categories I'm tracking too. So I need to limit to "all
categories already in the cache". I think by now you can see we are
considerably extending the breadth of the problem.

So, just the archive-mirror logic would be good enough IMHO. It provides
a simple foundation to implement more elaborate policies.

--
                                                            -- ddaa