Re: [Gnu-arch-users] {archives} vs archives

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] {archives} vs archives
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 21:19:33 -0400

On Mon, Sep 20, 2004 at 10:45:53AM +1000, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> > archive dirs, you can pick any name you want, so why not pick something
> > nice?
>
> Well, in some ways I do find ~/{archives} nice:
>  - stands out as Something Interesting in ls
>  - sorts by default at bottom of ls, so can see it quickly
>  - (bash) tab completion works automatically - ls {<TAB> inserts \'es

Why on earth are those desirable properties for the directory where you
happen to put your archives?  You should almost never need to look at or use
it directly -- 99% of access is implicit via tla (well, should be anyway, but
if not, you're probably doing something wrong).

-Miles
--
Freedom's just another word, for nothing left to lose   --Janis Joplin