Re: [Gnu-arch-users] .listing files

From: Mikhael Goikhman
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] .listing files
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 01:30:31 +0000

On 19 Sep 2004 19:52:56 -0400, James Blackwell wrote:

> Phil Frost wrote:
> > I don't think I'd want it to be the default, but it would be nice if the
> > tutorial mentioned that by touching =meta-info/httt-blows and running
> > archive-fixup, one can add .listing files to an existing archive.
>
> Why, especially considering the number of times I've had to walk people
> through setting up .listing files? This is a pretty common mistake that
> people (both knowledgable and otherwise) make.

I should agree here. Creating .listing files even for local and sftp
archives would be a good default. Most of the people publish their
archives using pure http. I remember having difficult times while
deciding whether to explain --listing option in my short tutorial or not.
I decided not to, because of time limits, and I know for sure that at
least several people learning from this tutorial will hit this trap.

Regards,
Mikhael.