[Gnu-arch-users] Re: "Getting back on the road"

From: Miles Bader
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: "Getting back on the road"
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 15:45:50 +0900

address@hidden (James Blackwell) writes:
>>> A whitespace only patch that a couple people grumble about is worth it
>>> because it makes the nifty merge tools I'm using much easier to work
>>> with.
>>
>> Have you tried configuring meld correctly?
>
> I've intentionally configured meld incorrectly. That way, tabs show up
> like a sore thumb. :)

So don't do that.  Problem solved.

Tabs are an occasional (but minor) irritation to be sure, but as I and
others have been telling you, the big-whitespace-patch approach is a
problematic way to deal with them.

And now you've rephrased your desire for a big-whitespace-patch because
it "makes the nifty merge tools I'm using much each easier to work with"
-- but this is only because you've intentionally misconfigured them!
Doesn't this strike you as being kind of misleading?

-Miles
--
Would you like fries with that?